Sunday, October 2, 2022

Call the Midwife

Αn Ode to Life

Call the Midwife is a BBC period drama set in the late 1950s and 1960s in the Poplar neighborhood in East London. The series focuses on the adventures of the midwives and nuns of Nonnatus House.

"Call the Midwife" was on my to-watch list for a couple of years, but I was slightly terrified by its number of seasons. (Currently, there are 11 seasons and 95 episodes available, while BBC has renewed the show for a 12th and a 13th season). However, I took a leap of faith this summer and decided to enter this world. 

I don't know if my profession or my sensitive and keen on drama side was the one that drew me to this show. But, I do know that "Call the Midwife" has left its mark on my soul. The stories are realistic, and full of raw emotions, and miracles. The music fits well with the scenes and I'm always happy to see the intro of the episodes. While it's not a historic show, some important historical events affect the storylines

It deals with sensitive yet important subjects like adoption, teen pregnancy, religion, poverty, birth defects, and abortion to name a few. The protagonists, the nuns and the midwives, struggle every day to help the people of their community, and even in their darkest times, helping and protecting the people of Poplar is what motivates them. 

Jenny, Trixie, Cynthia, and Chummy (the original four nurses) along with the nuns and the other characters that appear throughout the seasons remind me that kindness is a gift we must share with others, love shouldn't be taken for granted but should be given with an open heart, and that it's okay to break down as long as you remember to start again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion!

Outlander

 The Tv Show The photo is one of the promo posters of the earlier seasons.  While waiting for the seventh season of this magnificent show, I...